Wardens · 12 Posts
Posted on: Dec 26 2017, 04:45 PM
Played by Set · 25 years · Drakonrhedi · Apprentice Warden
This Girl Is On Fire
Roughly a year ago....

Ward was dead…

Ward was dead.

Ward. Was. Dead.

Seventy-two hours had not made the news easier to swallow. Some part of the dark-eyed young woman kept hoping every time she rounded a corner her brother would be there. He’d be grinning ear to ear and wrap her in a big hug and say some stupid bullshit to soften the surprise. He’d explain it was all a joke. A prank. A stupid Stalker plot of some kind. Go figure that fucked up wing would require something a little more morbid than run of the mill hazing. Why steal someone's shorts when you could have them fake their death?!

Unfortunately, Effie was not an optimist. Life was senseless and cruel as hell. The news of her brother's death had been a gut punch… but in some sick way it made sense. They’d grown too content living in the Ocular. Thinking giant alien monsters were the worst of their worries. Ha! At least a behemoth was straightforward in its desire to kill you. People were far more….slippery. No less dangerous though. Ward had been willing to protect those miserable scum in Dawn and what had that city of liars and cowards done? It had killed her brother.

Ward had been murdered.

After the initial wave of grief had faded, after she’d stopped screaming and crying long enough to think, Effie had wrapped her heart in that knowledge. Her mother and Remus had died suddenly too. But their deaths had been amid an awful sort of chaos. Those had been dark days when desperation had run high and making it to the next hour was all consuming. Back then there hadn't been time to really grieve her mother or her oldest brother.

But things were different now. She had a dragon! She had MAGIC. There would be no justice for Remus or her mother but Ward? Staring at the ceiling late into the night Effie had resolved that her twin would be avenged. Whoever had been involved in taking him from her? They would pay with their lives. A grim purpose but one that drove Effie to get out of bed. Even washing up and changing the young woman still looked like hell. She wore grief like a shroud. No smiles, insincere as they were, crossed her lips. No bright dresses and color today. Just a simple black sheath dress and a grim determination.

They should have killed her too.

Her boots clicked softly as she strode down the halls of the Ocular. Familiar but not home. Home was a long-abandoned flat in Paris filled with music and three ghosts. What was worse? To dream about that place so far gone on a distant planet or the present hell she found herself in? The dark haired woman dismissed the thought firmly. Grief was a luxury she didn't have. Revenge. Anger. That was the fuel for her fire. Effie felt damn near bursting with it. She felt capable of scorching the earth to ash. It sounded fucking lovely actually. And all she needed? A target for that wrath. Coming to an abrupt stop in front of a familiar office the young woman knocked twice sharply, not waiting for a reply before she opened the door. Caution had been left on the floor, along with her heart.

”We need to talk”She didn't wait for an invitation before stepping further into the office. A small woman even with the extra inches her heeled boots offered Effie had long ago learned the art of standing proud. From childhood, her mother had tried to instill a certain poise in her children. Not that it had done them much good in this brave new world. ”I want answers. REAL answers, not the...fluff everyone keeps waving at me. It’s been days Cedric you have to know something by now” Cedric was not just a stalker Centurion! He was-had been-Wards mentor! If anyone had answers, if anyone was motivated to find her brothers killer...surely it was this man?!
Stalkers · 110 Posts
Posted on: Dec 27 2017, 03:01 PM
Played by Opal · 28 years · Drakonrhedi · Centurion
[he/him] The Human Form Of The 💯 Emoji
In a world like Altayr, in a situation like humanity's, you didn't get by without death. It wasn't like Cedric wasn't intimately familiar with death. But some deaths still hit harder than others.

He'd always thought of apprentices as his charges, even more than the rest of the Drakonrhedi. He took a flight so rarely, and they were always exemplary when Drake assigned them to him. And so Ward's death, to him, was a personal failing, even if he recognized he could've done little to stop it. That didn't mean it hurt any less, or that he was any less hard on himself about it.

Like a hundred times before, he'd stolen all of the paperwork from Drake's office, just so he wouldn't have to think. He hadn't slept the first night because he was directing the clean up, and hadn't slept the second because he'd been working on the reports. Thank goodness medical advancements had given him a way to keep his brain going for all that time. He'd practically passed out last night, managing a substantial ten hours before he'd been roused for his typical duties. Today, it was more work, enough to keep every ounce of brain power occupied elsewhere.

Now, he was holed up in his office, making his way through mission reports and memos from his information network with the help of some Irish coffee. In the center of his office was a large oaken desk, wrapping around a Bond-villain-style large leather spinny chair that he sat in. The desk was covered in a mass of papers, organized in his mind but in no one else's, interspersed throughout them various knives, guns, and explosives. A map of the known territory of Altayr was projected into the air to one side of him via a hologram, flashing dots showing different behemoth reports and patrols. There was barely any wall visible--instead, there were bookcases upon bookcases, some showcasing just tomes, but others also containing weird baubles and machines. One entire wall was taken up with weapon racks, each labelled. Between two bookcases was a tiny little end table with a coffee machine on it and a giant bottle of creamer.

He was buried deep in his work when a sharp knock on the door roused him. The door slid open automatically at guests. He'd been expecting this. He hadn't programmed it to evade young women with justified questions.

”We need to talk.”

He didn't look up immediately, making as uninterested an "mmm" as he could manage and keeping his eyes on the report in his hands, pretending to read. But he didn't protest as she entered the room.

”I want answers. REAL answers, not the...fluff everyone keeps waving at me. It’s been days Cedric you have to know something by now.”

It had been days. And yes, he did know something. Of course, there was no way for Effie to realize that Cedric had been present at Ward's death. He knew who killed her brother--he'd stabbed the man through the heart himself. But he couldn't mention that. Not when there was another life on the line now, the life of an informant who could protect many other young men like Ward from suffering the same fate.

Cedric closed the report and looked up at Effie with a smile, masking his own tiredness with a finesse that only came with decades of experience.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Gerard. We're working on it. I promise I'll inform you the moment anything interesting comes up." He tried his best to be as warm as he could, even as he continued spouting the same sort of fluffy nothingness that he knew she was here specifically to avoid. He honestly was sorry that she'd lost a brother, and sorry that she wouldn't get to know the answers that she so desperately sought. But he had someone to protect, and that necessitated that he keep secrecy around the incident. H'd play as nice as he could, but if she kept pressing, he'd have to be a little more callous. "May I recommend a visit to the Medics' therapy sector? I can write a referral if you'd like."

@Effie Gerard

--------------------
Wardens · 12 Posts
Posted on: Dec 28 2017, 06:45 PM
Played by Set · 25 years · Drakonrhedi · Apprentice Warden
This Girl Is On Fire
Another time Effie’s gaze might have swept the room, taking everything in with a critical eye. It would have been displeasing, the way every square inch seemed occupied. For all her vices she was a tidy creature. And not above lording it over others. Materialistic true but not overly sentimental or attached to things once she’d acquired them. There was something nearly offensive about the creeping clutter of the room. Or what might have looked like clutter to the young woman. As it was she didn't spare the walls more than a reflexive glance. It wasnt WHAT was in the office that mattered, it was WHO.

What had Effie expected? Cedric to jump up from his chair with a declaration of some kind? That he’d dramatically reveal the truth she’d been trying to parse? Maybe a flourish as he outlined the case so far?! Nothing. Barely even a glance! And then the smile… oh no Effie didn't trust it in the least. Though her own artificial smile was currently missing, replaced by a scowl, the young woman knew insincerity when she saw it! Or rather, she assumed everything and everyone was insincere until proven otherwise.

Fists clenching at her side Effie resisted the urge to scream. More fucking fluff! It felt like she was choking on it...all the insincere condolences and the pathetic platitudes and the vague assurances. ”Have you even found the woman yet? The one he was seeing? She’s got to know something if I could talk to her...” a touch of desperation creeping into the young woman's voice. Not exactly a gentle way of wedging herself into things but Effie was beyond tact at the moment.

She’d thought Ward was just having another fling… he was handsome and charming. Women-and men!-weren't exactly a rare sight in his bed. As they rarely mattered beyond a moment Effie rarely took interest in her brothers lovers. But that one...that Dawn woman had been different! Special. Looking back it was obvious. Shit! Why hadnt she asked more questions? Demanded to meet the mystery girl? Or at least asked her name…? Ward had been sneaking off to visit the lady more and more. She had to know something! Or more likely be involved! The fact that this mystery woman had never materialized was enough to cement her guilt in Effie’s eyes. Though really she was happy to spread blame all around. Dawn was full of rot. It all deserved to burn.

“I don’t need med bay! I need revenge on the bastard that did this!” Well so much for not yelling. ”Shit you were his mentor doesn't that mean anything to you?! ”
Stalkers · 110 Posts
Posted on: Dec 29 2017, 12:38 AM
Played by Opal · 28 years · Drakonrhedi · Centurion
[he/him] The Human Form Of The 💯 Emoji
Cedric noted the clenching of Effie's fists, but he didn't turn his glance to it, keeping his gaze steady on her face and observing out of the corners of his eyes. Ahh, great. He'd been hoping to get the sad stage of grief. Instead, he got anger, which was probably going to go poorly, given that he... well, this girl had every right to call him out on his bullshit. Not that he'd ever let her know that.

”Have you even found the woman yet? The one he was seeing? She’s got to know something if I could talk to her...”

Desperation. And drive. If the cards had fallen differently, Cedric would've loved to take that drive and utilize it. As it was, he'd just have to shape it in a different way--wall her off, make her direct her fire elsewhere. Hopefully it'd end up somewhere helpful, but right now, Effie was a loose cannon and Cedric didn't have high hopes.

No trace of the calculation showed on his face. Instead, he gave a noncommittal shrug. "We're looking into a few leads," he said, vaguely yet calmly. "I've taken note of your information already. I appreciate you being forthcoming with the information and I'll contact you if we get anything." Hah. Cedric had a feeling Effie knew how spot-fucking-on she was, but he couldn't give it to her.

“I don’t need med bay! I need revenge on the bastard that did this!"

Well, there it was. He had a feeling that the medbay comment would trigger an explosion. That was part of the plan--either she accepted the fact that she did need the medbay, which was good, or she exploded at him, which would make her act even more irrationally and give him an excuse for placating her and ushering her out of his office.

"Shit you were his mentor doesn't that mean anything to you?!”

Way to twist the knife. He offered a pained smile, keeping his eyes hard and unreadable, and said, "Of course it means something to me. And of course, my grief has nothing on yours. I assure you, I am doing my best to prioritize the investigation and assign what Drakonrhedi I can to it. There's a lot to be done but we're doing our best." The papers on his desk more than attested to his current level of preoccupation.

He arched a brow. "Honestly, though, may I suggest some grief counseling? Even if we do find the perpetrator, it may help you to overcome his... this." He'd do what he could. Not that it would be enough.

@Effie Gerard

--------------------
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

<% theaffs %>
skin by luna @ caution/shine. code script by jawn @ back to neverland