Add Reply
New Poll

two limbs for the price of one, Kaelan
Seekers · 95 Posts
Posted on: Aug 14 2017, 12:51 PM
Played by Cranberry · 22 years · Drakonrhedi · Apprentice
she/her • What is life but one grand adventure?
The drakkar purred. Svetlana could feel the soft vibrations moving through the deck, making her creaky prosthetic leg vibrate in a very strange manner. She reached down and bonked herself in the knee, to try and chase the sensation away, then shot Kaelan an awkward grin in case he didn't approve of her methods. It was heavy metal, it could handle it! And she was going to get it replaced soon, anyway.

The pair was standing at the edge of the airship, at the railing, looking out at the approaching city of Dawn. It looked like the corpse of a shiny metal beast, buckled onto its front. Bits of it had decayed, and left in their place the growth of new structures for the people that lived inside it. Wait, did that make humans maggots? Oh. She wrinkled her nose at the thought and settled her gaze beyond the city, at the glittering ocean.

"For somewhere so deadly this place is so pretty," she said, shaking her head. Then she turned bright, delighted eyes on Kaelan.

"So tell me about this mechanic! I probably should have researched the practice before we came but I trust you to recommend someone good," she said. "I'm so excited to get started on retiring these old limbs, Kaelan."

@Kaelan Naish
Lemme know if you need more!
Stalkers · 37 Posts
Posted on: Aug 15 2017, 10:17 AM
Played by Rydia · 22 years · Drakonrhedi · Vanguard
Kaelan stood at the very edge of the drakkar, hands gripping the railing. His lips were curled in a soft smile as he looked out at Dawn and the ocean beyond. It wasn’t often he could go back to Dawn without being on business. Well, technically he was on business to get Svetlana new prosthesis, at least get it ordered and designed, but he was able to go see his father in the process. He was excited for that. He hadn’t seen his father face to face in several months. It was a long overdue meeting.

He glanced over at Svet as she banged her knee, trying to get it to quiet down. He gave a soft snort and nearly rolled his eyes before he turned back to view Dawn drawing ever nearer. The young man nodded briefly to Svet’s comment. It certainly was a beautiful place. Beautiful and deadly.

“I bet you are. It’ll be good for you.” Kaelan glanced over at Svet “His name’s Alair Naish. He’s basically been a mechanic his whole life so he’s certainly one of the best in the business, and my own mechanic.” An amused smile lifted his lips for a moment and then he gave a pointed look at her prosthesis, “You might get a talking to about those, but I’ve already told him the circumstances so he’ll probably be a little more lenient. And honestly, he might already have some prosthesis picked out, but you’d be more than welcome to sit down and work on a design with him.”

~~~
Tag: @Svetlana Kadner
Seekers · 95 Posts
Posted on: Aug 16 2017, 01:30 PM
“I bet you are. It’ll be good for you."

"Yeah it will!" she said. She was nearly vibrating with excitement. This was an important step to replacing her prosthesis.

“His name’s Alair Naish. He’s basically been a mechanic his whole life so he’s certainly one of the best in the business, and my own mechanic.”

"Awesome! Thank you for helping me with this part, even if it's technically not your job. I wouldn't know where to start." She caught his look and glanced down at her leg, looking sheepish.

“You might get a talking to about those, but I’ve already told him the circumstances so he’ll probably be a little more lenient."

"He won't be able to be mad at this face," she said, with an exaggerated pout in his direction. She wouldn't resent a talking to. She probably deserved it. It wasn't like she took the greatest care of her prosthesis, not that there was too much she could do with how old they were.

"And honestly, he might already have some prosthesis picked out, but you’d be more than welcome to sit down and work on a design with him.”

"That's probably good. I may be a cyborg but I know zilch about mechanics. I'll just get flames on the protective sleeve. I'll look super badass," she said, with an amused expression. She did plan to decorate it, but she doubted she would get something like flames. Sometimes she was tasteful. Sometimes.

She draped herself over the railing and watched the rapidly approaching airdocks. One arm swung through the air, testing the air currents. Kaelan knew his shit. If he said the mechanic was a good mechanic, then that meant he was most definitely an excellent mechanic. She straightened up, suddenly and violently.

"Hold on! Naish. Isn't that your last name?" Father? Brother? Husband? She turned bright, curious eyes on him. Her face said she was very pleased with herself for catching it, even if it was late.

@Kaelan Naish
Stalkers · 37 Posts
Posted on: Aug 19 2017, 11:49 PM
Kaelan shrugged a little. He looked over at her. “Well, it technically is a part of my job, Lana. That’s what I’m here for: to help you through the entire process.” A brow arched a few seconds later. “Flames? Oh please, anything would look better than flames.”

She draped herself over the rail and Kaelan looked back to Dawn and the approaching docks. It’d be nice to be on Dawn for something other than a mission. It’d be nice to be able to relax and maybe eat at one of the restaurants there after they visit the shop. His excitement was building, bubbling up in his chest. He hadn’t seen his dad in a long time, not to mention his father had remarked that there were some upgrades that he had wanted to give Kaelan. The young man was excited to see what his father had planned. Whatever it was, it’d be good, he knew that.

Svet’s voice rang loud, pulling Kaelan from his thoughts. He looked over at her and nodded. “Yeah, it is.” He arched a brow at her. “What about it?”

~~~
Seekers · 95 Posts
Posted on: Aug 20 2017, 03:37 PM
“Well, it technically is a part of my job, Lana. That’s what I’m here for: to help you through the entire process.”

“Oh, is it? I figured you worked more with people who’d just gotten a prosthetic than the whole mess afterward.” Svetlana felt a little less like she was making progress on the making friends with Kaelan front, but oh well. She’d just have to try harder. The little dashes of good humour she had worked free from behind his stoic mask made it clear that he would be a wonderful friend to have. “Thanks anyway!”

“Flames? Oh please, anything would look better than flames.”

“You can’t stop me,” she told him, with a grin.

“Yeah, it is. What about it?”

“Just curious who I’ll be meeting!” she said. “Is it your brother, your dad, your husband? Your smart, talking dog?”

The Drakkar came up on the airdocks while they were speaking, and settled in beside the dock. The metal groaned as it caught the ship, and there was a sudden, massive scurry on the deck as people boarded and exited. Svetlana turned to Kaelan.

“Lead the way?”

@Kaelan Naish
Sorry this is so short! lemme know if you need more
Stalkers · 37 Posts
Posted on: Aug 20 2017, 10:13 PM
Kaelan shrugged. “I work with apprentices and novices at all stages. I even have to check up on them to make sure that they’re taking care of their prosthesis. Recently a Vanguard came up to me and asked for advice.” He shook his head and gave small tsk.

“You’re right, I can’t stop you, but the mechanic certainly can.”

He then paused, turned his head to examine her, giving her an incredulous look. “My husband…” His lips parted in a grin and he started laughing. He rocked back a little, eyes closing, and chin tilting up. Leaning forward again, it took him a few seconds to regain his breath. The smile faded away but mirth still crinkled the edges of his eyes. “Oh god no; he’s my father.” He gave a huffy laugh and smiled once more. Shaking his head, he let the smile fall and looked back to the docks as the Drakkar landed.

Kaelan nodded to Svet and took the lead, his normal flat expression back in place. He walked through the streets, weaving through the crowds gracefully and quietly, blending in with the people without even thinking about it. Turning down several streets, he led Svet closer to the middle-class area of the Plaza. Set back in one of the alleyways sat a little shop with a sign hanging above it that read, Naish’s. It was quaint, if a seemingly a little rundown. Kaelan opened the door for Svet and then stepped through himself. Unlike the outside of the shop, the inside was pristine. Full prosthetics lay in glass cases, pieces lay on shelves, and a single large table sat next to the counter. A man sat there, metal pieces laying scattered on the surface as he worked diligently on a prosthetic.

“Hey, dad.”

The man looked up at Kaelan’s greeting and smiled. Kaelan could have been a near copy of his father, except for the man’s straight, silvered hair and thick beard. He was also bulkier and taller than his son. “Kaelan.” He stood and walked over to the duo, wiping his oily fingers on the apron he wore. Wrapping his son in a bear hug, he stepped back and then extended a hand to Svet. “You must be Svetlana. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

~~~
Seekers · 95 Posts
Posted on: Aug 21 2017, 07:07 PM
“I work with apprentices and novices at all stages. I even have to check up on them to make sure that they’re taking care of their prosthesis.”

Svetlana chuckled. She took care of her prosthesis, she just didn’t take good care of her prosthesis. There wasn’t much that could be done as they slowly deteriorated, not at this point, but they wouldn’t have gotten into such rundown condition if she had been more diligent from the start.

“Recently a Vanguard came up to me and asked for advice.” She shot him an amused look.

“You know, arguably that’s a compliment. You’re competent enough that fellow Vanguard ask you for help!” She couldn’t wait to be a Vanguard. She wanted to go on missions, and have a schedule that was mostly hers to determine.

She caught Kaelan’s gaze, and returned his look with an openly curious one. “My husband…” She resisted the urge to cross her fingers. Please don’t be married. I want a chance! He began to laugh. She watched as his head tilted back and his entire face changed, morphing into one of delight with crinkled eyes. She felt her heart quiver and then melt into a puddle. Were her knees weak? Her knees might be a little weak. Play it cool, Svet. You value this friendship. She looked out over the airdocks and tried to channel mysterious and hard to read; she failed spectacularly. She was grinning widely and she looked back at him with an expression that was not generally held on a face when looking upon a friend. “Oh god no; he’s my father.”

“Your father? Nice! I bet he’s a cool guy!” That explained why Kaelan was so good at the whole mechanics side of the prosthesis, if his father was also a mechanic. That had to have been where he learned it.

She followed close on his heels as they wove through the throngs on the Plaza. Svetlana was easily distracted, gaze darting this way and that as she took everything in. A young child throwing a tantrum across the way, a trio of boys running full tilt through around a corner. She almost lost her quiet companion at one point, saved only by the grace of his green hair. She hurried to catch up with him, bumping shoulders half on accident, just as they turned into an alleyway. She tilted her head back a bit to read the sign. This was the place! She didn’t register its rather worn appearance; as someone from the Drassil where behemoth routinely rampaged through, she was used to shoddy buildings and this wasn’t one of those. She shot Kaelan a smile when he held the door for her and stepped through.

It was like a little candyland for cyborgs. She looked over the beautiful array of prosthesis, still smiling. And the man behind the table was most certainly Kae’s father. Even if he hadn’t told her, she would have realized. He looked a lot like his son, only scaled up and with more lines in his face. His hair was straight. He got his curls from his mother, she thought, adoring the idea for no particular reason other than her growing affection for the man. This was not an unfamiliar feeling for her. She often fell hard and fast. It was certainly a fixed feature of her personality; she never did things halfway, no matter what they were.

“Hey, dad.” She should write her parents. There wasn’t service out in the Drassil, so they had to communicate the old-fashioned way. It was difficult to compress so much information from a week or more into a single letter, she had found. She grinned at the two as Alair wrapped Kae in a hug. It only grew brighter when the man turned to her and held out his hand. She shook it, in that vigorous way of hers.

“That’s me! It’s a pleasure to meet you too!” She glanced at Kaelan, back to Alair. “I had no idea you were his dad. It explains why he’s so damn good at maintaining prosthesis.”

@Kaelan Naish
This one really flowed for me it was great
Stalkers · 37 Posts
Posted on: Aug 21 2017, 09:35 PM
Alair gripped her hand firmly before he retracted it and offered her a small smile. “He’d better be after all this time. I think I’ve trained him well.” With a jerk of his head he motioned her to follow him to the table. “Kaelan.”

“Hm? Yeah?”

“There are two cases in the back, the black ones; can you grab them for me? And your own upgrade is sitting next to them.”

Kaelan nodded and made his way around the counter to a door in the back. He disappeared through the door as Alair turned to Svet. “Roll up your pants leg to just past the socket and take you shoes off for me. Then I want you to walk to the front door and then come back.” He sat down on his chair and watched her as she did as he said, taking in her gait and how she moved with the prosthetic. The man didn’t glance over as Kaelan came back into the main room and set the two, long cases on the table in front of him. Kaelan cast a glance at Svetlana before he headed to the back room again. He returned a few seconds later, a much smaller case in hand, and sat on a stool behind the counter. Setting the case on the counter he opened it up and then brought out tools, setting them beside the case. He started working quietly, glancing up every now and then to his father and Svetlana.

Once Svet had returned, Alair stood, picking up a tape measure. “Good. Now stand still. Your prosthetic is too short.” He measured the length of her legs and then her arms. “Mmm.” Turning, he typed in some notes on a screen that sat on the table. “You can go ahead and sit.” He sat himself and turned his gaze to her. “So, you obviously haven’t been taking care of those very well. If I am going to give you new prosthesis you’re going to have to do a much better job of maintaining them.”

Alair leaned forward, latched onto her metal leg and examined it, turning it in his hands, feeling how the joints moved, and prodding at the socket. He then stood and did the same with her arm all the way up to her shoulder. The man stepped back and folded his arms over his chest. “If these,” he motioned to her arm and leg, “had been installed properly and if you had taken care of them, they could have lasted you at least twenty years. Unfortunately, whoever attached them did not do it properly. So, to get you a new arm and leg, you’re going to have to get new sockets.”

~~~
Seekers · 95 Posts
Posted on: Aug 23 2017, 04:00 PM
Svetlana liked Alair, she decided. He had a firm handshake and an amenable, but businesslike air. She leaned over to roll up her pant leg with a happy little hum of assent, shoving it up past her knee unto the thick of her thigh so it would stay up. She turned around and walked to the door. Her gate was a little uneven—she had always chalked it up to the heaviness of her prosthesis, as they were metal rather than plastic. She turned around and caught Kaelan returning with two cases. She returned his glance with a significant one of her own. Those were going to be hers soon. She was itching to switch her prosthesis out.

“Good. Now stand still. Your prosthetic is too short.” She maneuvered her limbs where he needed them, eyebrows rising.

“Oh! Well that… actually makes a lot of sense.” That wasn’t the greatest news, but she could take it in stride, in no small part because she’d get something better soon. She had hit some late growth spurts; maybe she had grown an inch or two after her last prosthesis had been installed. That would explain why her leg complained so loudly, if it was constantly straining to keep up with her flesh one.

“Mmm. You can go ahead and sit.” She dragged a stool out and plopped down on it. “So, you obviously haven’t been taking care of those very well. If I am going to give you new prosthesis you’re going to have to do a much better job of maintaining them.”

Svetlana rubbed the back of her neck, with a little guilty chuckle, before scrubbing her hand through her hair and dropping it. “Yeah,” she said, drawing the syllable out. “I’ll try harder this time. I’m a little older now, so hopefully, that translates into being more responsible.” It did not translate into that, and they all knew it. “I’ll make sure to take better care of them this round. Promise!”

She leaned back against the table, letting him move her leg as he pleased. She didn’t mind it. She let him do the same with her arm, too. She peeked at Kaelan, working diligently on his own prosthesis. He’d help her maintain her prosthesis, even if it was just his job. Actually, that might be a good excuse to spend time with him!

“If these had been installed properly and if you had taken care of them, they could have lasted you at least twenty years.” She returned her gaze to Alair, looking vaguely contrite. “Unfortunately, whoever attached them did not do it properly.” She glanced down at her shoulder, looking surprised. Well, damn. The doctor/mechanic hadn’t been the most professional person she had met, it was true, but the pickings were slim out in the Drassil.

“Incorrectly installed, huh? What’s wrong with them?” she asked.

“So, to get you a new arm and leg, you’re going to have to get new sockets.”

“Okay, I was expecting that! But I thought it would only be because I would be getting different limbs, not because they weren’t connected right.” It was a good thing Kaelan had found her a qualified mechanic, wasn’t it?

@Kaelan Naish
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

<% theaffs %>
skin by luna @ caution/shine. code script by jawn @ back to neverland